Crown Lengthening is a procedure to reshape gum tissue and improve the shape of the teeth. The patient will have a better smile, as well as improve personal development and confidence.
Who should do Crown Lengthening ?
- Those who need to lengthen the teeth to attach dental crown, bridge, and veneer
- Those who have ‘Gummy Smile’, gum tissue covers teeth surface creating uneven gum lines
Crown Lengthening Process
- The dentist will examine the teeth condition and mark the surgery area. Anesthetics can be injected before the surgery.
- Cut and remove the gum tissue or bone in some cases to improve teeth visibility.
- Place a surgical dressing. Dentist may give aftercare instructions and ask for a follow-up appointment.
Crown Lengthening Duration
It may take about 1 hour depends on cases.
Lifespan of Crown Lengthening
Crown lengthening is permanently effective, however with the right aftercare.
Crown Lengthening Aftercare
- Take pain killer to relieve the pain, under the dentist instructions
- Avoid chewing hard or spicy food until recover
- In case of any emergency, please contact your dentist immediately
- Have an appointment with the dentist every 6 months
Frequently Asked Questions
Which conditions are suitable for Crown Lengthening ?
A : Conditions are suitable for Crown Lengthening?
- Uneven gum lines
- Gum tissue covers teeth surface too much
- Short teeth surface
- Temporomandibular disorders
Does Crown Lengthening hurt ?
A : Crown Lengthening does not take long. You may feel numb on the anesthetics area and your face may swell for 1-2 days.
If not Crown Lengthening ?
A : Those who have Temporomandibular disorders but do not want to do Crown Lengthening may have following options:
- Orthognathic surgery (Jaw surgery)
- Botulinum toxin (Botox) injection to control the upper lip muscle (orbicularis oris muscle)
Register an Appointment